Last Updated on
The best longboard for beginners
If you’re looking for beginners longboard and you don’t have the time for intense comparison shopping then get this Volador Freeride Longboard for overall quality and performance.
It has good speed, stability, better turn, 10 design options and comfortable foot placing. A perfect board to learn on and fantastic for transportation!
Longboards are quite similar to skateboards but they are a little longer. A fun option for those looking for something more active and sporty.
It’s good for traveling from one place to another, also for fun workout. There are so many options available out there. It’s hard to find the best beginners longboard from all these.
To make things easier for you, I have done the research. I have picked top 10 beginner-friendly longboards from 100+ options and broken down all the details that you need to know.
Things I considered while selecting a particular longboard on my list are –
- If it’s beginner-friendly or not.
- Its durability, comfort, security, speed, control, etc.
- Its maneuverability, build quality.
- The brand reputation.
- Its cost-effectiveness.
Best Longboard For Beginners Comparison
|Check On Amazon|
|Check ON Amazon|
|Check On Amazon|
|Check On Amazon|
|Check On Amazon|
Let’s get to the main part of this best longboard for beginners review.
10 Best Longboard For Beginners
1. Volador 42inch Freeride Longboard (Top Pick)
- This longboard provides a fair amount of stability for beginners.
- Its turning accuracy and responsiveness is really good.
- The baseplate angle of the truck is adjustable between 50 or 45 degrees (more on this later).
- The shock absorbent deck is very durable; It’s suitable and quite comfortable size for all sorts for riders, including beginners.
- It features a camber deck profile to provide ample flexibility.
- As it’s a drop-through mounting style, it gives you stability and makes it easy to push and braking.
- The combination of drop-through mounting and cut-out deck provides enough wheel clearance and shock absorbance.
- I believe the graphics on the deck is worth cherishing.
- The price is reasonable for beginners.
- You may have to tighten the trucks before you start riding for the first time.
Although a simple cruising longboard is well enough for a beginner, I had to choose this particular freeriding board for a reason.
It’s because you don’t have to master any freeriding or sliding tricks to make the most out of this board. It’s quite a beginner-friendly board to move from point A to point B as well.
As you can adjust the truck’s baseplate angle between 50 or 45 degrees, you can make it 50-degree for the front truck and 45-degree for the back truck.
It’s because it will give you both stability (from the back truck), and turning support (from the front truck). *50-degree gives better turning support, 45-degree provides better stability.
It features an 8-ply maple wood shock-absorbent deck. Undoubtedly, it makes the deck satisfactorily stable and durable. It has 10 different beautiful deck design options which is a big plus point. The design arts look very cool & vibrant.
The wheel size is 70mm, which is a standard size, neither small nor large. These wheels offer 78A durometer, meaning you will get both grip and pace.
This longboard is a high-quality and durable board for beginners at an affordable price. Perfect board to learn on and fantastic for transportation & basic tricks!
Overall, this one is a really good longboard for freeriding that suits the beginners and semi-pros.
2. Atom Drop-Deck Longboard
- A perfect board for both tall and short riders.
- Grippy wheels, soft bushings and concave give it an amazingly smooth and stable ride.
- It offers almost everything like good speed, stability, better turning than others etc.
- The reverse kingpin trucks with 50-degree baseplate make it easy to maneuver and turn, etc.
- It’s a 9-ply full maple wood deck to provide excellent durability.
- This longboard features standard-sized wheels, and the wheels are quite grippy due to their sharp lip shape.
- As it’s a drop-through board, so you will get ample stability and comfort in foot placing.
- The cut-out shape having enough leverage ensures eliminating the wheel bites.
- The price is a bargain for the beginners.
- Not a good one for advanced tricks. However, as a beginner, you should focus on learning & only try basic tricks if you want.
Atom, as a brand, has been dominating the longboard industry for years now.
They know what it takes to make a durable and quality longboard for beginners, and this 41” drop deck board is not any exception.
I dig the modest outlook of this board. It’s neither too fancy nor too dull.
The official weight limit is 220 lbs(guaranteed). Although riders with much higher weight around 300 lbs do just fine with it. I guess the official limit is just to be on safe side. This has a really strong deck, it’s expected that it can supprt much higher weight.
Regarding performance, it steals the show without any doubt.
As a beginner, what you require most is stability, smooth turning, gripping, etc. to get a better and safe riding experience. On top of that, the board needs to last long.
This longboard from Atom offers everything that you can expect from a beginner-friendly longboard.
Despite having a couple of hiccups, I still believe this one is one of the best options for going from one place to another. This one cost a little less than the previous Volador one. If you are looking for something cheaper than the Volador one but still a good board then this should be your pick.
3. MBS All-Terrain Longboard Reviews
- The all-terrain wheels give extra grip and let you tackle any bumpy roads with ease.
- No issue regarding wheel clearance, which is something a beginner always loves to have from a longboard.
- No problem whatsoever in pushing this board forward.
- The drop-down deck gives ample space for foot placement with comfort and provides better control and stability.
- Turning with this board is a cakewalk.
- The bearings are good enough to make the wheels roll efficiently.
- It comes completely assembled.
- It’s quite affordable for what it offers.
- Due to the too big wheel size, you will get good top speed. However, you will have to sacrifice acceleration.
- A little heavier than usual.
MBS all-terrain board suits all sorts of riders of all ages. Besides the young riders, anyone aging over 50 years will find this board a handy-dandy option to start longboarding.
Moving from point A to point B with stability, maneuverability, grip, control, comfortable foot placement, and safety are some benefits you will get from this longboard.
One of the most attractive features is its all-terrain wheels. It’s going to roll over literally everything with ease, including asphalt, woodchips, bumps, etc.
The wheels are massive in size (100mm), having a big contact patch, and sharp lip. All these ensure adequate control and grip at top speed.
That means this board is quite capable of providing a safe riding to the beginner longboarders.
The wheel durometer is rated as 78A, which is a standard value to get a beautiful blend of pace and control.
The suggested weight limit is 220lbs. However, it can handle more weight without any issues.
As a whole, this MBS all-terrain longboard is kind of a hidden gem, in my opinion. The price is quite acceptable. It shines in quality and usability, no doubt.
4. The Quest Super Cruiser Longboard
- Affordable price
- Well built, multi-ply board
- Anybody can use it including beginners
- It is stable even when there is an impact
- It offers a great grip
- The board is durable and long lasting
- It includes a kick tail
- Maybe a bit long for young riders
- The bearings are not durable
The fourth choice and the budget pick for this list is the Quest® 44″ Super Cruiser Longboard, which features a bamboo/hardwood maple deck with cool abstract graphics. With dimensions of 43 x 9 x 44 inches, the beautiful artisan longboards are designed in California.
The multi-ply deck is shaped in the best way to provide you with maximum comfort while the detailed graphics ensure that you ride in style.
With genuine ABEC 7 speed bearings, 7 Ply Bamboo and Hardwood Maple Deck, and 7-inch aluminum trucks, you are guaranteed a classy ride at an outstanding bargain.
Besides all that, the aluminum trucks and durable 70mm PU wheels not only help prevent wheel bites during sharp turns but also helps it move smoothly.
Special mention: According to experienced riders, Quest super Cruiser is the best cruiser longboard for beginners as well as good kids longboard. In addition, it’s also the best longboards for carving.
5. Ten Toes Skateboard
- Its dual design allows it to be used both as a skateboard and a longboard
- Comes with heavy-duty and shock-absorbent wheels
- Very spacious bamboo and maple deck
- Provides great stability which makes it perfect for the downhill cruiser
- Offers a lot of control and maneuverability
- Includes wheel wells to reduce wheel bites
- Smooth Polyurethane 70mm wheels that are shock absorbent and have rock finish for a strong grip
- Reverse kingpin trucks
- Comes fully assembled and ready right out of the box
- Wheel wells eliminate wheel bites
- The aluminum bearings are not very reliable
- Can feel slightly wobbly to some skaters because of its immense flexibility
For my fifth pick, I have chosen the 44-inch Zed Bamboo Longboard Skateboard Cruiser with dimensions of 44.1 x 9.4 x 5.1 inches. Ten Toes Board Emporium Longboard is an artisan longboard crafted from natural materials and designed in Los Angeles. Made of ethically sustainable bamboo, the board has a striking vintage Californian look.
It is also combined with solid and durable Maple wood in an 8-ply construction, with a bamboo deck and a kick tail. Since it is crafted from natural materials, the board’s bamboo grain varies to a great extent from board to board.
The large kicktail is also equipped with top-notch hardware that looks as amazing as it rides. The ZED Bamboo Longboard is ideal for riding in urban areas, as it can be easily controlled and maneuvered.
Besides that, the board’s lightweight yet sturdy 7-inch aluminum trucks also come with additional riser pads to reduce vibrations and give you a more stable and surf-like ride.
It includes reactive and smooth gliding reverse kingpin trucks, coupled with a precision ABEC-7 bearing. Lastly, it includes 70x51mm 85a PU wheels with rock finish which are extremely durable and long lasting.
6. Sector 9 Aperture Longboard
- Sector 9 aperture longboard comes with a compact design and beautiful graphics.
- It has a flat aerodynamic structure which is good for smooth carving at high speed
- The board is extremely fast and a good choice for professional riders
- With pumping, you will be able to go for long rides
- It includes sidewinder trucks that allow you to turn very fast compared to other trucks
- The sidewinder trucks come with a double-edged sword that is very risky in case of bombing
- Larger wheels are needed to withstand sufficient pressure
My sixth pick is none other than the Sector 9 Aperture Longboard, which measures 36.0″ L x 9.0″ x 26.375″. Sector 9 Fractal provides you with a very comfortable ride thanks to its length. Furthermore, it doesn’t fail to keep you stable when you’re going downhill at a great speed.
You may ride as fast as you want and take turns around corners with the greatest of ease, as the longboard allows you to be free while keeping your feet rooted on the board.
The Fractal Longboard also comes with Gullwing Sidewinder trucks and Sector 9 ABEC 5 bearings. Besides that, it comes with 69mm 80A 9-balls Wheels.
Meanwhile, the double-kingpin on the Fractal gives you a chance for some camera-worthy turns and slides, therefore, resting the response directly underneath your feet.
Special remark: Sector 9 aperture longboard is the best longboard for downhill as well as Sliding. Furthermore great for 13 year old kids.
7. Minority Downhill Maple Longboard
- The materials used are environmentally friendly
- ABEC-9 precision bearings allow you to ride with high speed
- It has soft wheels that are tough enough to handle any kind of road
- Sturdy deck made of 100% natural Maple wood
- The deck might be a little wide for some skaters
- Might need to adjust and loosen the trucks a bit in order to turn
The Minority 40-Inch downhill longboard makes it to my sixth choice in the list. Weighing 7.5 pounds, and measuring 40 x 10 x 4 inches, the Minority longboard is considered to be the ultimate work of longboard engineering.
Constructed with the classic downhill drop model, its low gravity construction is ideal for speed ride or going downhill. Concerning how it looks, it is designed by talents across the Atlantic, and the graphics may, therefore, range from strikingly vintage to avant-garde looks.
Made with a 100% Maple wood deck, its super strong 8-ply hard rock maple is first cold pressed for endurance and strength so that it is tough enough to hold 220 lbs. With a 37-Inch wheelbase and a spacious 10-Inch width deck, it can ensure a stable downhill platform.
Besides that, Minority Downhill Maple Longboard also has a unique symmetrical shape, which avoids wheel bite from any angle. Its 7-inch casted aluminum reverse kingpin trucks are also equipped with carbon steel axle and are adjustable between 45 and 50 degrees for greater maneuverability and versatile riding style.
With round edge 70x51mm 78A high rebound PU wheels and ABEC-9 precision bearings, the board lets you carve and ride with unsurpassed smoothness while it allows you to reach high speed within three power paddles, therefore, saving a lot of time and energy.
8. Rimable Drop-through Longboard
- Rimble drop-through longboard is commonly used for cruising
- It provides better stability even when riding at high speeds.
- Possible to keep complete control and change the speed as per your needs on ot
- it is more suitable for all kinds of longboarders.
- It provides more flexibility than other kinds of longboards.
- Besides high-speed riding, it is also suitable for low-speed carving.
- Allow you to be extremely flexible
- More suited to riders who enjoy sliding on their boards since the center of gravity is much lower and this makes the board more stable.
- It’s not to be the strongest boards in the range.
- It is specifically designed for cruising and carving.
- Because of its unique structure and design, it tends to be draftier.
- It is not stable on different platforms.
- Not possible to maintain the proper grip on the field with it
With a dimension of 41X9.5, the Rimable Drop-through Longboard is a good choice for beginners. With a Freerider shaped covered deck which is layered with 9 plies of Maple wood and a truck made of 7-inch aluminum, the longboard proves to be quite sturdy.
Meanwhile, the wheels are of 70X51MM PU, with 85A Hardness, yet again, showing how quality materials are used to guarantee a long lasting board as such. Besides all that, it also has a very high-speed bearing.
In other words, this Rimable Drop-Through Longboard is the perfect choice for anyone who wants all the benefits of a standard drop through but with a tighter turning radius. As for the board, we already know that it will never let you down whether you’re weaving through people or cones.
With its low deck height which is easy for pushing, a 9.5″ wide deck for taking powerful turns, 70mm PU wheels for an extremely smooth ride, and ultra-low rolling resistance, this longboard is a hard-to-beat all-rounder.
Due to its maximum stability, this is an excellent choice for going downhill, while its ease of pushing is perfect for long distance riding or just kicking around the town/campus.
9. Playshion 39inch Freestyle Longboard
- Suitable for skaters of all ages, including beginners
- The design of the deck is stylish, flat and symmetrical
- The deck is tough yet light enough in weight
- Includes a 7- inch reverse kingpin that is strong
- Easy to control and maneuver
- Ready to use just after unboxing
- Not as safe as it claims to be; especially in the case of new skaters
- The wheels tend to be squeaky and temperamental
My next pick is Playshion longboard which measures 39 x 9.1 x 4 inches and offers multi-function features such as cruising, sliding, curving, downhill, free-ride, and freestyle.
The longboard deck is quite sturdy and yet flexible since it’s made of 8 ply flex hardwood maple, with a flat and symmetrical design. Although the deck is slightly concave in the middle, it helps to secure your feet to the board and helps when turning and carving.
Its 7-inch reverse kingpin aluminum trucks can easily handle any amount of sliding. Meanwhile, due to its drop-through mounting technology, and 4-inch ground clearance, it’s easy to brake and push with the right foot, thus making it a more stable longboard for beginner riders including kids and adults, and can hold up to 250 lbs.
Playshion Longboard also comes with the 70x50mm SHR 78A Polyurethane wheels, which are durable and great for this board. The width of each wheel is about 50mm, so they are wide enough for the rider to have more control when riding.
As for the bearings, the board comes with an ABEC-7 bearing which is oiled and made of “bearing steel” which is very tough and sturdy compared to the traditional carbon steel. Hard enough for firm steering, and yet soft enough for a smooth and pleasant ride, they are also not as squeaky when they’re working since the nylon ball cages reduce friction when they are rotated.
Besides all that, the best part is that this longboard is approximately 7 pounds, which makes it light in weight and easy to carry around when needed.
Special mention: Playshion 39″ freestyle longboard is the best long board on the market for new learners as well as it’s excellent for any longboarding style, specially it best longboard for freestyle.
10. White Wave Bamboo Longboards
- The White wave bamboo longboard is perfect for riding on downhill roads
- The weight of the board provides great stability for the skater
- Uses Canadian Maple beside bamboo for making the decks
- Uses high-quality materials
- Easy to carry around
- It would be better to have a ceramic bearing instead of a hellion one
- The trucks are quite loud and squeaky
The White wave bamboo longboard makes it to my ninth choice on the list and with sufficient reason. With 39.5 x 5.2 x 10.9 inches in dimensions, the board weighs just 3.5 pounds.
Despite a little bit of additional bulk, the weight helps to stabilize the board for the rider. Its measures allow for an extensive base and quite a good length which is very helpful when it comes to longboards as it enables with cruising and swaying at high speeds without any resistance.
The high-density plastic deck is extremely durable, so it will last you a long time. It also comes with 180 mm (7 inches) aluminum trucks, which have ultrahigh rebound bushings.
Meanwhile, it is 70 mm x 50 mm high rebound urethane wheels that allow you to drift smoothly. As for the bearings, it has fast and durable hellion bearings with built-in spacers.
Although the longboard itself may not be as compact, you will have no trouble at all when carrying it in the back of your backpack since it is very light in weight.
All the longboards I’ve reviewed here are some of the best beginner-friendly longboards out there at a bargain price.
As a beginner, you should not focus on any fancy riding like dancing, or advanced riding like downhill, etc.
Cruising smoothly from one place to another with a stable and quality longboard is something you should be looking for more than anything else.
Keeping these in mind, I strongly believe “Volador Freeride Longboard” is the beauty and the beast for you. This is the best option right now. Either go for the Volador one or, if you want something a little cheaper then go for Atom Drop Deck.
Best Beginners Longboard Buying Guide
To find the best beginners longboard, it is crucial to know exactly what you need. Since there is a huge variety of boards out there, it is quite easy to mess up unless you are absolutely sure of what you need and want.
If you are someone who’s still new to the entire longboarding thing and don’t know how to work things out, then don’t worry anymore as I will guide you on the things to look for in good beginner longboards.
5 Tips To Avoid Failure In Find Out The Best Longboards for beginners
#1: Custom build or buy
First of all, know that there are two ways to get a longboard. You can either custom build one for yourself or buy a readymade one. Since you’re still a beginner, it would be better to buy one instead of all the trouble. That will make it easier to own the best longboard for beginners.
#2: Select the construction type
Next, choose the construction type, which can be either natural materials such as sturdy and durable Maple wood or lightweight bamboo which offers much flex. You can also pick some of the more expensive options, and choose extremely lightweight materials such as carbon fiber.
#3: Longboarding style
After that, decide on the type of best beginner longboards skateboard. If you want to commute, then choose a cruiser as this tends to distribute your weight evenly. If, however, you want something that will offer you more speed, then choose a downhill skateboard. It is not recommended for beginners though.
#4: Select longboard trucks
Moving on, choose the size of the longboard trucks you need. The width of the hangar is supposed to be similar to the width of the board, so make sure yours match as well. Also, decide on the baseplate of the trucks. While the standard baseplate tends to be 50 degrees, yours might vary. While having a low baseplate angle will make the truck turn less, a high baseplate angle, on the other hand, will make the truck turn more.
#5: Choose longboard bearings
Lastly, decide on the wheels and bearings. Ranging from soft wheels to extremely hard ones, it is essential to be well informed about the different types and shapes to be able to have a smooth ride and prevent wheel bites.
As for the bearings, all bearings are almost of the same size and don’t offer any specific information regarding crucial factors such as load handling capabilities and more. While an ABEC rating measures most bearings, some companies tend not to use these ratings. For the ones using the bearing system, a higher ABEC rating would mean more accurate and precise bearing.
Benefits Of Longboarding
Longboarding has a lot of benefits in the long term. Not only does it keep its participants engaged and motivated, but it also keeps the skaters fit and healthy. Besides, since longboarding is extremely fun and rewarding, it keeps skaters continue this sport without any pressure. In other words, longboarding is a challenging form of sport that has a lot of health benefits.
Health benefits of longboarding are many. Since it is one of the cardio sports, it is an excellent way to get a regular dose of such exercise to strengthen your heart and increase your lung capacity.
For an excellent cardiovascular workout, pushing oneself around on a longboard across flat terrain or up steep hills should do all the work. Regular longboarding can also help to build impressive levels of stamina.
Board tricks, jumps and any stunts, only further add to the benefits of longboarding. Most of these stunts need a lot of speed, and skaters can’t achieve them without hard work, to achieve and maintain a certain level of speed and skill.
Squats stands, and jumps, on the other hand, require solid muscle conditioning through an entire range of motions, which further adds to the workout. Besides cardiovascular conditioning, stunts keep on adding other fitness elements to longboarding which are all essential for overall fitness.
The flexibility of muscles can also improve significantly from longboarding. Although many tend to overlook the aspect of flexibility, it is also a significant aspect of keeping fit and healthy besides cardiovascular conditioning and muscle strength training.
Thus, longboarding provides the perfect balance with its bursts of intense exercise, followed by periods of more moderate exertion. This helps you develop overall strength, stamina, and cardiovascular health.
Frequently asked questions (FAQs) about Best Beginner Longboards
Q: What are the differences between skateboards and longboards?
Ans: Skateboards are made to be short and light, so they are easier to do the tricks with them. In case of skateboards, harder wheels are faster on concrete, while tighter trucks ensure more stability.
Longboards, on the other hand, are typically longer than skateboards. However, the difference is not always that significant. Some differences are softer wheels and looser trucks. These features provide more comfort when riding and the ability to turn very easily by leaning.
Q: Should a beginner get a regular skateboard or a longboard first?
Ans: This depends on how you would like to use your board. If you want to cruise and carve around like a surfer on the streets, then you should go for a longboard.
On the other hand, if you want to ride in skate parks and you want to learn and perform different tricks, then choose a skateboard instead.
Since it all depends on the skater himself and what he is comfortable with, there is no particular board that a skater should begin with first.
Q: What size longboard should I get?
Ans: The size of your longboard you should mostly be related to the type of riding you prefer to do. While shorter boards enable quicker, sharper turns, longer boards, on the other hand, allows one to do better carving at high speeds.
For younger riders as well as short riders, boards in the 28″ to 32″ range are going to be excellent. Taller riders can, of course, use these boards as well.
However, the most popular longboards among new riders are boards in the 32″ to 42″ range. These boards are great for different riders as well as different riding styles. This is why these best longboard skateboards for beginners are also the most recommended ones. This range is better for best starter longboard.
Here is a list of the top 10 best beginners longboards that I have reviewed in this post:
- Atom Drop-Deck Longboard – best for downnhill carving (Top Pick)
- MBS All-Terrain Longboard
- Volador 42inch Freeride Longboard – best for free-ride board
- The Quest Super Cruiser Longboard – best for cruiser board (best budget longboard)
- Ten Toes Board Emporium Longboard – best for cruising board
- Sector 9 Aperture Longboard – best for doing fast downhill ride
- Minority Downhill Maple Longboard – best beginner downhill longboard
- Rimble Drop-Through Longboard -best first longboard
- Playshion 39″ Freeride Longboard – best for freestyle board
- White Wave Bamboo Longboard – best bamboo board – cheap beginner longboards
Overall, good longboards are not only used for commuting but are also a fun sport in itself. Longboarding has its health benefits, besides allowing you to remain healthy and active in a fun and engaging way. Whether you are a child or adult, this is one activity that everyone can enjoy with just a little practice.
Furthermore, if you can become an expert, then you can also perform a lot of tricks and stunts to wow your friends in due time.
So now that you have gathered plenty of information regarding the best longboards for beginners, it should be a lot easier for you to decide which longboard is for you, and what to look for and expect when buying one. Hopefully, now, you have all your options answered, and no confusion regarding what to look for anymore.