OUR TOP PICK
If you're looking for a beginner longboard but don't have the time to do your own research and to compare prices, well you have come to the right place. After all the research I recommend the Volador Freeride Longboard as my top pic due to its overall quality and performance.
It has good speed with stability, comfortable foot placing, and comes in ten different design options.
It’s good for traveling from one place to another and its great fun.
However, the market is flooded with poor quality longboards, making it hard to find the best longboard for beginners.
To make things easier for you, I tested a number of beginner’s longboards after which I picked the top 10 beginner-friendly longboards from 100+ options, breaking down all the details that you need to know.
Things I considered when selecting a particular longboard are –
- If it’s beginner-friendly or not.
- Its durability, comfort, speed, control, etc.
- Its maneuverability, build quality.
- The brand’s reputation.
- Is it cost-effective.
- Best Longboard For Beginners Comparison
- 10 Best Longboard For Beginners
- 1. Volador 42inch Freeride Longboard (Top Pick)
- 2. Atom Drop-Deck Longboard
- 3. MBS All-Terrain Longboard
- 4. The Quest Super Cruiser Longboard
- 5. Retrospec Zed Bamboo Longboard
- 6. Sector 9 Aperture Longboard
- 7. Minority Downhill Maple Longboard
- 8. Rimable Drop-through Longboard
- 9. Playshion 39 inch Freestyle Longboard Review
- 10. White Wave Bamboo Longboards
- Best Beginners Longboard Buying Guide
- Here Are The Best Longboards For Beginners:
Best Longboard For Beginners Comparison
Let’s get to the main part of this best longboard for beginners review.
10 Best Longboard For Beginners
1. Volador 42inch Freeride Longboard (Top Pick)
I had to choose this particular freeriding board as my number on as you don’t have to master any freeriding or sliding tricks to make the most out of this board.
It’s quite a beginner-friendly board , its easy to do basic tricks and the perfect board to move from point A to point B. This board makes learning to ride longboard very easier for newbie riders.
It features an 8-ply hardrock maple wood shock-absorbent deck. Undoubtedly, it makes the deck very stable and durable, with a Max load capacity of 250 lbs.
It has 10 beautiful deck design options which are a big plus point. These design are really cool and vibrant.
The wheel size is 70mm, which is a standard size, neither small nor large. These wheels offer 78A durometer, meaning you will get both grip and pace. It goes over large cracks and rocks smoothly.
It comes fully assembled so you can start riding right away out of the box. Although I’d recommend you to check if the trucks need to be tightened.
You can adjust the truck’s baseplate angle between 50 or 45 degrees. You can therefore make it 50-degree for the front truck and 45-degree for the back truck. This will give you both stability (from the back truck), and turning support (from the front truck) as 50-degree gives better turning support and 45-degree provides better stability.
This is a high-quality and durable board for beginners at an affordable price. A perfect board to learn on and fantastic for transportation & basic tricks!
Overall, this one is a very reasonable longboard for freeriding that suits the beginners and semi-pros.
I would definitely recommend this longboard to anyone considering getting into longboarding as my first choice
- Turning accuracy and responsiveness are really good.
- The baseplate angle of the truck is adjustable between 50 or 45 degrees.
- The shock absorbent deck is very durable.
- The combination of drop-through mounting and cut-out deck provides good wheel clearance and shock absorbance.
- Relatively lightweight board for its size.
- 10 different styles to choose from.
- Reasonable price.
- You may have to tighten the trucks before first use.
- White wheels can get dirty quickly
2. Atom Drop-Deck Longboard
Atom, as a brand, has been dominating the longboard industry for years now.
They know what it takes to make a durable and quality longboards for beginners, and this 41” drop deck board is not an exception.
I dig the modest outlook of this board. It’s neither too fancy nor too dull.
The official weight limit is 220 lbs(guaranteed). Although heavier riders with around 300 lbs will do just fine on it. I guess the official limit is just to be on the safe side. This board has a really strong deck.
Regarding performance, it steals the show without any doubt. As a beginner, what you require most is stability, smooth turning, gripping, etc. to get a better and safe riding experience.
This longboard from Atom offers everything that you can expect from a beginner-friendly longboard.
Despite having some criticisms on how the stock trucks, wheels and bushings are average,I still believe this board is one of the best options for just having great fun with your board.
If you are looking for something cheaper than the Volador Freeride then this board is a good alternative.
- A perfect board for both tall and short riders.
- Grippy wheels.
- The reverse kingpin trucks with 50-degree baseplate make it easy to maneuver and turn, etc.
- Excellent durability.
- Good price
- Not a good one for advanced tricks.
- Trucks, wheels and bushings are average
3. MBS All-Terrain Longboard
MBS all-terrain board suits all sorts of riders of all ages.
Moving from point A to point B with stability, maneuverability, grip, control, comfortable foot placement, and safety are some benefits you will get from this longboard.
One of the most attractive features is its all-terrain wheels. It’s going to roll over literally everything with ease, including asphalt, woodchips, bumps, etc.
The wheels are massive in size (100mm), having a large contact patch, and sharp lip. All these ensure adequate control and grip at top speed.
That means this board is quite capable of providing a safe ride to the beginner longboarders.
The wheel durometer is rated as 78A, which is a standard and provides the perfect balance between speed and traction
The suggested weight limit is 220lbs. However, it can handle more weight without any issues.
As a whole, this MBS all-terrain longboard is kind of a hidden gem, in my opinion. The price is quite acceptable. It stands out in both quality and usability, no doubt.
If you are a beginner and want to ride longboard on off-road then this should be your pick.
- The all-terrain wheels give extra grip.
- Good wheel clearance.
- Turning with this board is a cakewalk.
- Great centre of gravity.
- It comes completely assembled.
- Deck not well assembled.
- A little heavier than usual.
4. The Quest Super Cruiser Longboard
My fourth choice and the budget pick for this list is the Quest® 44″ Super Cruiser Longboard, which features a bamboo/hardwood maple deck with cool abstract graphics. Size sometimes matters…..the dimensions are 43 x 9 x 44 inches. This beautiful artisan longboards are designed in California.
The multi-ply deck is shaped in the best way to provide you with maximum comfort while the detailed graphics ensure that you ride in style.
With genuine ABEC 7 speed bearings, 7 Ply Bamboo and Hardwood Maple Deck, and 7-inch aluminum trucks, you are guaranteed a classy ride at an outstanding price.
Besides all that, the aluminum trucks and durable 70mm PU wheels not only help prevent wheel bites during sharp turns but also helps it move smoothly.
According to experienced riders, Quest super Cruiser is the best cruiser longboard for beginners as well as a great board for children. In addition, it’s also the best longboards for carving.
- Affordable price
- Well built, multi-ply board
- It offers a great grip
- The board is durable and long lasting
- It includes a kick tail
- Maybe a bit long for young riders
- The bearings are not durable
5. Retrospec Zed Bamboo Longboard
As fifth pick, I chose the 44-inch Retrospec Zed Bamboo Longboard Cruiser with dimensions of 44.1 x 9.4 x 5.1 inches. The Ten Toes Board is an artisan longboard crafted from natural materials and designed in Los Angeles. Made of ethically sustainable bamboo, the board has a striking vintage Californian look.
It is also combined with solid and durable Maple wood in an 8-ply construction, with a bamboo deck and a kick tail. Since it is crafted from natural materials, the board’s bamboo grain varies to a great extent from board to board.
The large kicktail is also equipped with top-notch hardware that looks as amazing as it rides. The ZED Bamboo Longboard is ideal for riding in urban areas, as it can be easily controlled and maneuvered.
Besides that, the board’s lightweight yet sturdy 7-inch aluminum trucks also come with additional riser pads to reduce vibrations and give you a more stable and surf-like ride.
It includes reactive and smooth gliding reverse kingpin trucks, coupled with a precision ABEC-7 bearing. Lastly, it includes 70x51mm 85a PU wheels with rock finish which are extremely durable and long lasting.
- Its dual design allows it to be used both as a skateboard and a longboard
- Comes with heavy-duty and shock-absorbent wheels
- Very spacious bamboo and maple deck
- Provides great stability which makes it perfect for the downhill cruiser
- Offers a lot of control and maneuverability
- Includes wheel wells to reduce wheel bites
- Smooth Polyurethane 70mm wheels that are shock absorbent and have rock finish for a strong grip
- Reverse kingpin trucks
- Comes fully assembled and ready right out of the box
- Wheel wells eliminate wheel bites
- The aluminum bearings are not very reliable
- Can feel slightly wobbly to some skaters because of its immense flexibility
6. Sector 9 Aperture Longboard
My sixth pick is none other than the Sector 9 Aperture Longboard, which measures 36.0″ L x 9.0″ x 26.375″. Sector 9 Fractal provides you with a very comfortable ride thanks to its length. Furthermore, it doesn’t fail to keep you stable when you’re going downhill at a great speed.
You may ride as fast as you want and take turns around corners with the greatest of ease, as the longboard allows you to be free while keeping your feet rooted on the board.
The Fractal Longboard also comes with Gullwing Sidewinder trucks and Sector 9 ABEC 5 bearings. Besides that, it comes with 69mm 80A 9-balls Wheels.
Meanwhile, the double-kingpin on the Fractal gives you a chance for some camera-worthy turns and slides, therefore, resting the response directly underneath your feet.
Note: This is a great longboard for kids 13 and over.
- Sector 9 aperture longboard comes with a compact design and beautiful graphics.
- It has a flat aerodynamic structure which is good for smooth carving at high speed
- The board is extremely fast and a good choice for professional riders
- With pumping, you will be able to go for long rides
- It includes sidewinder trucks that allow you to turn very fast compared to other trucks
- The sidewinder trucks come with a double-edged sword that is very risky in case of bombing
- Larger wheels are needed to withstand sufficient pressure
7. Minority Downhill Maple Longboard
The Minority 40-Inch downhill longboard is weighing 7.5 pounds, and measuring 40 x 10 x 4 inches, and this Minority longboard is considered to be the ultimate work of longboard engineering.
Constructed with the classic downhill drop model, its low gravity construction is ideal for speed or going downhill. Regarding its looks, it is designed by talents across the Atlantic, and the graphics may, therefore, range from strikingly vintage to avant-garde looks.
Made with a 100% Maple wood deck, its super strong 8-ply hard rock maple is first cold pressed for endurance and strength so that it is tough enough to hold 220 lbs. With a 37-Inch wheelbase and a spacious 10-Inch width deck, it ensures a stable downhill platform.
Besides that, Minority Downhill Maple Longboard also has a unique symmetrical shape, which avoids wheel bite from any angle. Its 7-inch casted aluminum reverse kingpin trucks are also equipped with carbon steel axle and are adjustable between 45 and 50 degrees for greater maneuverability and versatile riding style.
With round edge 70x51mm 78A high rebound PU wheels and ABEC-9 precision bearings, the board lets you carve and ride with unsurpassed smoothness while it allows you to reach high speed within three power paddles, therefore, saving a lot of time and energy.
- The materials used are environmentally friendly
- ABEC-9 precision bearings allow high speed
- It has soft wheels that are tough enough to handle any kind of road
- Sturdy deck made of 100% natural Maple wood
- The deck might be a little wide for some skaters
- Might need to adjust the trucks
8. Rimable Drop-through Longboard
Measuring in an at 41 x 9.5, the Rimable Drop-through Longboard is a good choice for beginners. With a covered deck which is layered with 9 plies of Maple wood and a truck made of 7-inch aluminum, the longboard proves to be quite sturdy.
Meanwhile, the wheels are of 70X51MM PU, with 85A Hardness, yet again, showing how quality materials are used to guarantee a long-lasting board as such. Besides all that, it also has a very high-speed bearing.
In other words, this Rimable Drop-Through Longboard is the perfect choice for anyone who wants all the benefits of a standard drop through but with a tighter turning radius. As for the board, we already know that it will never let you down whether you’re weaving through people or cones.
With its low deck height which is easy for pushing, a 9.5″ wide deck for taking powerful turns, 70mm PU wheels for an extremely smooth ride, and ultra-low rolling resistance, this longboard is a hard-to-beat all-rounder.
Due to its maximum stability, this is an excellent choice for going downhill, while its ease of pushing is perfect for long-distance riding or just kicking around the town/campus.
- Rimble drop-through longboard is commonly used for cruising
- It provides better stability even when riding at high speeds.
- Possible to keep complete control and change the speed as per your needs on ot
- it is more suitable for all kinds of longboarders.
- It provides more flexibility than other kinds of longboards.
- Besides high-speed riding, it is also suitable for low-speed carving.
- Allow you to be extremely flexible
- More suited to riders who enjoy sliding on their boards since the center of gravity is much lower and this makes the board more stable.
- It’s not to be the strongest boards in the range.
- It is specifically designed for cruising and carving.
- Because of its unique structure and design, it tends to be draftier.
- It is not stable on different platforms.
- Not possible to maintain the proper grip on the field with it
9. Playshion 39 inch Freestyle Longboard Review
My next pick is Playshion longboard which measures 39 x 9.1 x 4 inches and offers multi-function features such as cruising, sliding, curving, downhill, free-ride, and freestyle.
The longboard deck is quite sturdy and yet flexible since it’s made of 8 ply flex hardwood maple, with a flat and symmetrical design. Although the deck is slightly concave in the middle, it helps to secure your feet to the board and helps when turning and carving.
Its 7-inch reverse kingpin aluminum trucks can easily handle any amount of sliding. Meanwhile, due to its drop-through mounting technology, and 4-inch ground clearance, it’s easy to brake and push with the right foot. Thus making it a more stable longboard for beginner riders including kids and adults, and can hold up to 250 lbs.
Playshion Longboard also comes with the 70x50mm SHR 78A Polyurethane wheels, which are durable and great for this board. The width of each wheel is about 50mm, so they are wide enough for the rider to have more control when riding.
As for the bearings, the board comes with an ABEC-7 bearing which is oiled and made of “bearing steel” which is very tough and sturdy compared to the traditional carbon steel. Hard enough for firm steering, and yet soft enough for a smooth and pleasant ride. They are also not as squeaky when they’re working since the nylon ball cages reduce friction when they are rotated.
Besides all that, the best part is that this longboard is approximately 7 pounds, which makes it light in weight and easy to carry around when needed.
Playshion 39″ freestyle longboard is one of the best longboards on the market for new learners as well as it’s excellent for any longboarding style, especially for freestyle.
- Suitable for skaters of all ages, including beginners
- The design of the deck is stylish, flat and symmetrical
- The deck is tough yet light enough in weight
- Includes a 7- inch reverse kingpin that is strong
- Easy to control and maneuver
- Ready to use just after unboxing
- Not as safe as it claims to be; especially in the case of new skaters
- The wheels tend to be squeaky and temperamental
10. White Wave Bamboo Longboards
The dimensions of this board is 39.5 x 5.2 x 10.9 inches and weighs just 3.5 pounds. Despite a little bit of additional bulk, the weight helps to stabilize the board for the rider. The extensive base and good length is very helpful when it comes to longboards as it enables with cruising and swaying at high speeds without any resistance.
The high-density plastic deck is extremely durable, so it will last you a long time. It also comes with 180 mm (7 inches) aluminum trucks, which have ultrahigh rebound bushings.
Meanwhile, it is 70 mm x 50 mm high rebound urethane wheels that allow you to drift smoothly. As for the bearings, it has fast and durable hellion bearings with built-in spacers.
Although the longboard itself may not be as compact, you will have no trouble at all when carrying it in the back of your backpack since it is very light in weight.
- The White wave bamboo longboard is perfect for riding on downhill roads
- The weight of the board provides great stability for the skater
- Canadian Maple deck
- High-quality materials
- Easy to carry around
- It would be better to have a ceramic bearing instead of a hellion one
- The trucks are quite loud and squeaky
Best Beginners Longboard Buying Guide
To find the best beginners longboard, it is crucial to know exactly what you need. Since there is a huge variety of boards out there, it is quite tricky to find the right board for you.
If you are someone who’s still new to longboarding, I will guide you on the things to look for in good beginner longboards.
5 Tips To Avoid Failure In Find Out The Best Longboards for beginners
#1: Custom build or buy
First of all, know that there are two ways to get a longboard. You can either custom build one for yourself or buy a readymade one. Since you’re still a beginner, it would be better to buy one instead of all the trouble. That will make it easier to own the best longboard for beginners.
#2: Select the construction type
Next, choose the construction type, which can be either natural materials such as sturdy and durable Maple wood or lightweight bamboo which offers much flex. You can also pick some of the more expensive options, and choose extremely lightweight materials such as carbon fiber.
#3: Longboarding style
If you want to travel long distances on a daily basis, then choose a cruiser as this tends to distribute your weight evenly and is a better board for such. If, however, you want something that will offer you more speed, then choose a downhill skateboard. It is not recommended for beginners though.
#4: Select longboard trucks
Choose the size of the longboard trucks you need. The width of the hangar is supposed to be similar to the width of the board, so make sure your match this well. Also, decide on the baseplate of the trucks. While the standard baseplate tends to be 50 degrees, yours might vary. While having a low baseplate angle will make the truck turn less, a high baseplate angle, on the other hand, will make the truck turn more.
#5: Choose longboard bearings
Lastly, decide on the wheels and bearings. Ranging from soft wheels to extremely hard ones, it is essential to be well informed about the different types and shapes to be able to have a smooth ride and prevent wheel bites.
As for the bearings, all bearings are almost of the same size and don’t offer any specific information regarding crucial factors such as load handling capabilities and more. While an ABEC rating measures most bearings, some companies tend not to use these ratings. For the ones using the bearing system, a higher ABEC rating would mean more accurate and precise bearing.
Benefits Of Longboarding
Longboarding has many benefits in the long term. Not only does it keep its participants engaged and motivated, but it also keeps the skaters fit and healthy. Besides, since longboarding is extremely fun and rewarding.
As it is one of the cardio sports, it is an excellent way to get a regular dose of exercise to strengthen your heart and increase your lung capacity.
For an excellent cardiovascular workout, pushing oneself around on a longboard across flat terrain or up steep hills should do all the work. Regular longboarding can also help to build impressive levels of stamina.
Board tricks, jumps and any stunts, only further add to the benefits of longboarding. Most of these stunts need a lot of speed, and skaters can’t achieve them without hard work.
Squats stands, and jumps, on the other hand, require solid muscle conditioning through an entire range of motions, which further adds to the workout. Besides cardiovascular conditioning, stunts keep on adding other fitness elements to longboarding which are all essential for overall fitness.
The flexibility of muscles can also improve significantly from longboarding. Although many tend to overlook the aspect of flexibility, it is also a significant aspect of keeping fit and healthy besides cardiovascular conditioning and muscle strength training.
Thus, longboarding provides the perfect balance with its bursts of intense exercise, followed by periods of more moderate exertion. This helps you develop overall strength, stamina, and cardiovascular health.
Frequently asked questions (FAQs) about Best Beginner Longboards
Q: What are the differences between skateboards and longboards?
Ans: Skateboards are short and light, so performing tricks with them are easier. In case of skateboards, harder wheels are faster on concrete, while tighter trucks ensure more stability.
Longboards, on the other hand, are typically longer than skateboards. However, the difference is not always that significant. Some differences are softer wheels and looser trucks. These features provide more comfort when riding and the ability to turn very easily by leaning.
Q: Should a beginner get a regular skateboard or a longboard first?
Ans: This depends on how you would like to use your board. If you want to cruise and carve around like a surfer on the streets, then you should go for a longboard.
On the other hand, if you want to ride in skate parks and you want to learn and perform different tricks, then choose a skateboard instead.
Since it all depends on the skater himself and what he is comfortable with, there is no particular board that a skater should begin with first.
Q: Which type of longboard is best for beginners?
Ans: It depends on some factors such as your preferred riding style and what you will do with this longboard.
Q: What size longboard should I get?
Ans: The size of your longboard depends on the type of riding you prefer to do. While shorter boards enable quicker, sharper turns, longer boards, on the other hand, allows one to do better carving at high speeds.
For younger riders as well as short riders, boards in the 28″ to 32″ range are good. Taller riders can, of course, use these boards as well.
However, the most popular longboards among new riders are boards in the 32″ to 42″ range. These boards are great for different riders as well as different riding styles. This is why these best longboard skateboards for beginners are also the most recommended ones.
I will list the top 10 best beginners longboards that I have reviewed in this post. Randomly arranged.
Here Are The Best Longboards For Beginners:
- Best For Overall: VOLADOR Longboard
- Best Freestyle: Retrospec Bamboo Beginner Longboard
- Best for Surfing: Quest Super Cruiser Longboard
- Best Budget: Yocaher Punked Stained Beginner Longboard
- Best to Ride: Ten Toes Emporium Longboard
- Best Drop Down Longboard: Yocaher Drop Down Longboard
- Best for 13 year olds: Sector 9
- Best for Girls: SCSK8 Natural Longboard
- Best to Surf: Santa Cruz Lion Beginners Longboard
Overall, good longboards are not only used for commuting but are also a fun sport in itself. Longboarding has health benefits, allowing you to remain healthy and active in a fun and engaging way. Whether you are a child or adult, this is one activity that everyone can enjoy with just a little practice.
Furthermore, you can become an expert, performing lot of tricks and stunts to wow your friends .
So now that you have gathered plenty of information regarding the best longboards for beginners, it should be a lot easier for you to decide which longboard is the right one for you.